Saturday 21 March 2015

Big Step - #StartANewLife

After my graduation, I was provided with two options to move on with life. I could either get a job or I could go to university to get a post graduate degree. I was more inclined towards choosing the latter one as I wanted to get my masters degree before settling down with a job. 


But when I was applying to various universities, a very lucrative job offer came my way. The position of an English teacher was available in my village’s primary school. It was a government job and hence came with a very good salary. When I consulted my family and relatives, they told me that I shouldn’t let go of such a good opportunity. I thought about it and in greed of the wonderful salary, I applied for the job.

A few weeks later, the postman dropped two orange envelopes in my home. I quickly checked from where the envelopes had come. One was from the regional education office and the other from Ajmer University. I opened the envelope that came from the education office first and found my appointment letter inside. I was hired and asked to join the school within a week. I smiled. But then I proceeded to open the second envelope and the letter inside it said that I was selected to do my masters in the university.

Now, I was confused. The job was very good; there was no doubt on that. But my acceptance into the university created a conflict against it. Both the offers were good. I had to select one and it was hard. I thought about it more and then finally choose one. I took the boldest decision of my life.

Next day I broke the news to my family that I received an acceptance letter from the Ajmer University. My mother smiled and congratulated me.

‘What about the Job?’ Dad asked me. ‘Did you get hired?’

‘I don’t know dad,’ I told him. ‘No letter has come yet,’

‘Call the regional office,’

‘I did call yesterday. They said they are still evaluating the candidates,’

So that was the decision I took. I decided to ditch the job and go to the university. I made sure that nobody could know about the job thing and after a few days with no more letters coming to our home, dad gave in and told me to go to the university. And a few days letter, I was in the university studying my masters.

The job that I was offered was very good. Initially I had this doubt in mind that I might regret my decision latter. But it turns out, I never did. Today I have a far better job than that one. That decision that I took shaped up my life in a new and better way. 

___________



No comments:

Post a Comment